Wednesday 12 October 2011

Me and my flowery wardrobe


My biggest memory of my 18th birthday was heading off to the bank and getting myself a debit card.. Something I was looking forward to immensely for at least 4 years!!

I started working in a hairdressers when I was 14, earning myself around £20 a week, it was around that time that I started noticing that other girls my age were using tools to make themselves look and feel more attractive.. I discovered hair straightens, padded bras, bronzer and the thong..

From the age of 14 up until around 17 I experimented with makeup, hair dyes, and fashion.. those years were tragic, I didn’t know what I was doing and I quickly developed an obsession with lip gloss and tan. I used to get told I looked tangoed and I’m pretty sure I spent most of my school days walking around with my lip gloss dripping onto my chin. 

It took me a long time to gets things right, I cut my own hair quite a lot.. wasted a lot of money on benefit makeup that was three shades too dark for my skin, and over the years I must have used enough bleach on my hair to fill a swimming pool. I would add photos to prove just how horrifying I looked but quite frankly I don’t want to reveal the shocking state of my youth, until I’m at least 40 and then I can laugh about it. It’s still far to raw..

I seemed to get it more wrong than anyone else, I personally put it down to the fact I was still mentally the age of about 7 when I was 15 and really and truly I shouldn’t have been let loose by myself in Superdrug…  I also started hanging around with a group of girls that seemed to know a lot more about well everything than me, and perhaps me trying to keep up with their ‘coolness’ resulted in me trying too hard when really I should have just continued being pale and skinny and a little bit of retard. 

But lessons were learnt and I’m now fully aware of the dangers of a bronzer obsession and owning a debit card with an overdraft 10 times bigger than you're actual income. It took me a good few years but I finally now feel like I’m comfortable with who I am. Maybe it’s because I’m older, now a mum, and working in an industry where appearance really is the last thing that matters.. 

So at 18 I got myself into a bit of trouble, spent some money I didn’t have.. Had some fabulous outfits I didn’t actually ever wear and probably realistically went shopping for new stuff every day! It became a bit of an obsession, I became an actual shopaholic! Granted I never got over this obsession and I’m still definitely a shopaholic.. People say their a shopaholic, but when I say I am.. I really really am! Like dangerously so! I’m like a hard core addict for florals, fur, and all things pretty.
The difference is now, I’ve become somewhat of a savvy shopper, I love a good bargain and I think I now know what suits me. 

Because I’m still on maternity leave and I have a pretty girl to dress now as well, I’ve decided to start blogging about fashion.. For both me and my daughter. I’m not claiming I’m a fashionista or a know all about trends, because I'm far from... but I enjoy fashion and I love lovely things.. You may disagree and think I’m a total mess, but I’m going to give it my best shot what the hell.

So every week I’ll do my little fashion blog, I’ll include such things as: bargain of the week, my wish lists, husband steals, and super cute things I pick up during the week for my daughter. Hopefully in doing so it will distract me from going out and buying quite so much as it’ll give me a new appreciation for the things I have.. :-S

Hold tight for this week’s instalment, off to have a rummage.. oh the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment