Wednesday 14 December 2011

Festivities and Father Christmas


I haven’t posted anything in a while, not too sure why… It’s not that I haven’t had anything to say, because lots of thrilling things have been happening… but for some reason I just haven’t really felt in the mood. 

I decided I don’t want to be one of these bloggers that write stuff every other day just to write a blog, because then it would start to feel like work to me! And whilst I’m still enjoying my maternity leave I’d rather not commit to anything that involves too much thinking.

So I’m just going to touch upon a few little things, and to have a little natter about the whole festive season, because I absolutely blinking love Christmas more than anything ever ever ever.

Right so firstly… my little nearly 6 month old flower pot is sitting up unattended! Of course she still takes the odd tumble when doing so, and quite often plummets backwards when having an excited moment… but overall she’s doing it! Which is marvelous and I’m obviously super proud and telling most people I see. 
 
Thing is when it comes to showing off this new talent she chooses not to, but instead insists on standing by remaining stiff as a board when I try and sit her. I am sure she’s doing this to make me look silly… so I have taken numerous photos of her sitting so that I can prove to people that I’m telling the truth! So here she is sitting (and this wasn’t taken by sitting her, running with the camera and then quickly dashing back to catch her! This is real on her own sitting)


Now I know I wrote a blog a while ago about my worries regarding my return to work… those worries never went away. Despite many a kind word reassuring me everything was going to be ok and that I’d get used to it and so would she, I was driving myself mad with the dread of it…

So much so… I resigned from my current position of 37.5 hours a week and went and got myself a new job. I’ll be working 22.5 hours, covering 3 days starting in January and I can’t tell you how delighted this makes me! To have 4 days off a week to spend dilly dallying around with my daughter… it’s going to mean it will be easier to carry on breastfeeding, to enjoy days out and to carry on spending time just general larking around. 

So being so overjoyed at the whole new job malarkey we decided to take a trip to see Father Christmas in London to celebrate. My daughter, my husband and I packed up our daughter along with some readily prepared bottles, emergency bibs and a baby sling, and toddled off to London. 

Our plan was to go to Harrods... on a Saturday… two weeks before Christmas! Clever parents… obviously being first timers we didn’t think this through and ended up in a traffic jam of people in Piccadilly tube station with a little lady who really just looked totally perplexed at the whole ordeal.

We ended up giving up and headed home, attempting to take a few photos in front of some Christmas lights on the way so that it looked as if we’d had a Christmassy day out… 

Luckily with my mother being a super duper child-minding genius woman, she had booked for my daughter to see Father Christmas as the local playgroup. Now this Father Christmas didn’t sit on a gold chair and his beard was maybe slightly obviously fake but really I’ve decided that doesn’t matter! The kids were so star struck to see him the magic took over and quite frankly it was just glorious. Sure it was all a little manic and my daughter didn’t have the foggiest clue where she was let alone who this big loud man was… but if I’m honest I think I got as much pleasure out of taking her there as the other kids got receiving their gifts from the big man himself.


My conclusion being… becoming a mum does mean you have to grow up and do things like change you working hours, adjust your lifestyle and sacrifice a trip to Topshop in order to go and stand in the queue full of crazy children perfecting their best ‘I’ve been good all year’ face… but really being a mum means you get to be a kid again also! 

So therefore this year I plan to enjoy every Christmassy thing I possibly can… from mince pies for breakfast to tinsel in my hair! I will dance around my living room to Wham and possible wear a Santa hat whilst food shopping. Because now I have a baby I have a reason so why not… Hooray for all the tacky festive crap you can buy in Poundland! I plan to buy it all.

Merry Christmas from a sickly happy new mum with a superbly cute baby Santa person… Chin chin


1 comment:

  1. The beard may be slightly dubious but Santa's smile was absolutely genuine. One has to take into account that Santa needs lots of helpers at this time of year and they are not all blessed with his natural hirsuteness and need to rely on a few extinctions.

    ReplyDelete